Curly Hair Hacks That No One Told You About
If you have curly hair, you’ll know that it takes so much time to maintain. Maybe, you also find it difficult to style by yourself. If you have a difficult time dealing with your curls, in this article, we’ve listed out hacks that can help you keep your curly hair look its best.
When to Wash your curly hair
First, you have to determine the type of your curly hair; is it kinky, loose, or tight? Bear in mind that not all hair types should be washed on a daily basis because it can strip off natural oils on your hair, leaving it dry. Kinky hair can be washed weekly, loose curls 4 times a week, and tight curls around 2-3 times a week.
However, it depends if you are staying in a place where it’s humid or if you have scalp problems and needing daily washing. If it’s necessary for you to wash your hair every day, opt to buy hydrating hair products to help balance your hair’s moisture.
How to Untangle
Use your fingers to untangle before drying it. If you want to use a comb, wide-tooth ones are your best friend for your curly hair. It helps to keep the form of your curls than using brushes that can cause breakage.
How to Properly Dry and Maintain Curls
It’s best to invest for a hair diffuser to dry your hair properly but another way to do it is to air dry your curly hair to maintain your curls. Also, use cotton-based towels or microfiber to dry your hair to prevent frizz.
What to do to Avoid Damage
• Choose products without alcohol or sulfates as these ingredients are the culprits to hair damages.
• If possible, avoid brushing your hair to keep your curls from having hair knots. If you really need to, always remember to use a wide-tooth comb.
• Use moisturizing hair products regularly because curly hairs are prone to dryness.
• Be gentle on your hair. When drying, avoid roughly combing it.
• Once in a while, you can steer away from using shampoos when you wash your hair, but don’t skip on using conditioners.
• Try a do-it-yourself hair mask using eggs and mayonnaise, the ingredients help retain moisture to achieve soft and smooth hair.
• Trim your hair habitually. Having well-kept hair will prevent further damage and split ends.
• If possible, avoid dying your hair as it contains certain chemicals that make it brittle and dry. On the other hand, there are organic hair dying products that you can try but using them often can also cause dryness.
How to Get Soft and Shiny Curls
• Use a clarifying shampoo to avoid hair buildup, but don’t use it on a regular basis. Once or twice a month is enough because this dries up your hair after usage.
• Put a curl defining cream before drying your hair. By using this, you will have volumized and bouncy curls.
• Choose a hair oil for your curls and add it after drying and before styling your hair. One of the hair oil’s benefit is that its ingredients help the hair to be softer and shinier.
• To achieve soft hair, invest in products that focus on hydrating and deep conditioning.
Maintaining curly hair is much more time consuming than having straight hair; thus, it takes a bit more attention to sustain its good condition. Finding the right products, knowing how to take care of it, and taking the time to attend to your hair is essential to keep it from being damaged. The tips above are simple effective ways to manage your curly hair, so give them a go.